City of Gulfport, Mississippi
Department: 411 – Leisure Services
SALARY- $14.00 PER HOUR
The Lifeguard conducts activities of insuring the safety operation of a municipal swimming facility.
The Lifeguard will maintain a constant vigil of swimmers; act to save lives, initiate water safety habits among swimmers and assist with the operation and maintenance of the swimming pool. As a swim instructor, this person teaches assigned classes in swimming and water safety.
Essential Job Functions
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Supervise patrons and enforce pool regulations, insure patron safety, collect fees and conduct aquatic programs.
• Assist in the maintenance of the pool, dressing rooms, deck area and checkroom.
• Take hourly samples of pool water and keep accurate record of same.
• Check and ensure all safety equipment is in working order and proper place.
• Maintains cleanliness of the pool and surrounding areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must posses required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of basic pool operation, pool maintenance and life guarding skills.
• Ability to work with the public.
Education and Experience
High School graduate. Completion of Red Cross Lifeguard Program. Completion of Red Cross C-Pro and First Aid Program.
Required Licenses or Certificates
Current CPR Certification.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 50+ pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily outdoors.