City of Gulfport, Mississippi
General Services Employee I - Sportsplex
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary :$11.51 Per Hour
The General Services Employee (GSE) performs unskilled and limited semi-skilled manual work. Work of this class involves performance of routine unskilled manual laboring tasks and limited semi-skilled tasks in the carrying out of a variety of maintenance, construction and service activities. Assignments include the use of standard hand tools and power operated devices, the operation of trucks and other automotive equipment incident to regular duties. Work usually is performed without direct supervision. Work may be performed in various areas within the Sportsplex which may include work with ball fields, restrooms or other outdoor/indoor areas. Work to include but is not limited to blowing, transport of equipment, weed eat, field preparation, garbage pick-up, pressure washing, edging, janitorial cleaning and other labor related items.
GSEI-Sportsplex Page 1 of 2
Essential Job Functions
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Performs general custodial and maintenance tasks in cleaning and replenishing supplies in restrooms, and other public facility structures.
• Operates mowers, edgers, trimmers, and other hand and power tools used in grounds maintenance.
• Performs basic cash handling skills in order to verify and collect money.
• Maintains general records, i.e., daily work orders, tasks completed, and equipment used and/or serviced, fuel use.
• May be required to operate a motor vehicle in performance of assigned duties.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must posses required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Considerable knowledge of the work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated with assigned equipment and operations.
• Ability to read, write and/or follow oral instructions.
• Ability to use of hand and power tools incidental to assigned tasks.
• Physical strength and agility sufficient to perform manual labor and at
times under unfavorable weather conditions.
• Ability to work with cleaning equipment.
• Ability to operate small machinery (backpack blower, push mowers,
weed eater, etc.)
• Ability to communicate and interface with coaches, spectators and
• Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with
other employees, supervisor and other departments.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School graduate or equivalent. A minimum of six (6) months
experience in the area of work assigned.
Required Licenses or Certificates
Must possess valid driver’s license required Licenses or Certificates
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 50+ pounds;
visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and
manual dexterity necessary to operate equipment. Subject to sitting,
standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential
functions. Working conditions are primarily outdoors.