The GSE I position performs routine unskilled manual laboring tasks and limited semi-skilled tasks in the carrying out of a variety of maintenance, construction and service activities. Assignments include the use of standard hand tools and power operated devices, the operation of trucks and other automotive equipment required in performance of regular duties. Work usually is performed under direct supervision.
Essential Job Functions
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Repairs and maintains traffic signals with the traffic control signal system and computer, and to assist in the gathering of traffic count data.
- Responsible for maintaining and repairing radio control and communications equipment.
- Operates signal system computer interface.
- Locates utilities.
- Investigates, reviews, and makes timing changes.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, experience, and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Ability to read, write and/or follow oral instructions.
• Ability to learn the use of hand and power tools incidental to assigned tasks.
• Is able to exercise sound judgment in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures, and in the interest of public safety
• Is able to establish and maintain effective-working relationships with supervisor, support staff and other personnel position interacts with.
• Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees, supervisor and other departments.
- Education and Experience
High School graduate or GED equivalent. Previous experience and/or technical or vocational schooling may be considered.
Required Licenses or Certificates
Must possess valid state of MS driver’s license.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 50+ pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.